Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Chronicles of an Inexperienced, but Ambitious Blogger..



How strange and exciting it is to be undertaking this new adventure in blogging! I'll do my best to live up to the very impressive work of my fellow Ed. 3508 colleagues.

Let me begin by telling you a little about myself...

My name is Nicole Lavoie, but since I feel like you ought to know the real me, you can call me Niki! I was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta and am the youngest child in a family of four. My interests include singing, literature, art history, and many other avenues by which I can express my creativity. In addition, I have a special place in my heart for traveling, as much of my family lives in the U.K. Moreover, I adore spending time with children-- particularly the younger ones! Coming from a family of teachers, I've always gravitated towards a career in education and am therefore thrilled to be embarking on this new journey in teaching. I have much to learn and am anxious to absorb as much information as possible about this highly-respected and invaluable profession.

Now that I've introduced myself, shall we discuss the merits and potential shortcomings associated with the implimentation of blogging in the classroom? Yes? Excellent.

My Perspective on Blogging in the Classroom...

Firstly, the convenience of blogging is an undisputed advantage of the techonology, as it allows a student to immediately engage in an educationally-orientated discourse with his or her teacher. This is certainly beneficial during exam time, when students feel the greatest pressure to comprehend course material. Furthermore, because these questions are posed in a less-threatening environment, free from the perceived judgement of peers, students may be more inclined to seek assistance. I can attest to this in my own experience, as I've sometimes found it difficult to ask for help with course material, in a seemingly intimidating classroom setting. In essence, this online community of learning is another means by which teachers can disseminate information to their students, and may also have the added effect of strengthening the bonds between students as they assist one another in understanding a given topic.

Still, the issue of privacy, security, and confidentiality, is an area of potential concern with regards to blogging-- especially for young students who may be susceptible to threats such as cyber-bullying. Also, it is important that the information transmitted be accurate and of a factual nature, rather than one of mere opinion. If the material relayed to students is not qualified or reliable it is of little use in the quest for true academic understanding.

In my personal opinion, I think these obstacles can be overcome with the implimentation of a code of conduct in which each student consents to express him or herself in an appropriate manner while online. Ultimately, I believe the advantages of blogging for educational purposes far outweigh the risks associated with it.
Educationally Yours,
Niki

No comments: